API testing is a type of software testing that focuses on ensuring that apps meet functionality, performance, reliability, and security requirements. API testing, which is part of integration testing, tests the logic of the build architecture in a short amount of time.
API automated testing is essential for product quality and continuous integration and delivery (CI/CD) procedures. API tests, unlike GUI tests, can withstand short release cycles and rapid modifications without causing the test outputs to fail. API tests are automated in automated testing by generating test suites that can be performed repeatedly.
REST API is a fantastic approach to conduct tests, as we all know. However, it is not always sufficient, as some hazards are not detectable through REST API testing alone. End-to-end test automation is critical in this situation. The best API automation testing tools are listed below.
Postman is an application that is used to create and test APIs. Postman streamlines collaboration and simplifies each phase of the API lifecycle, allowing you to design better APIs faster. It is used for backend testing, in which we enter the end-point URL, submit the request to the server, and wait for the server’s response. Every component in POSTMAN is critical because it serves a specific purpose. Postman allows you to construct and execute REST, SOAP, and GraphQL requests.
Postman is a free program for Mac, Windows, and Linux that may be used for monitoring, API testing, and documentation, as well as a commercial version for businesses.
Features of Postman:
- Automated tests are simple to set up.
- Creating Mock endpoints for APIs that are still being worked on.
- Assertions about the responses to API endpoint execution.
- Jenkins, TeamCity, and other CI-CD tools are supported.
- Execution of API tests, for example, can be automated.
- API development and documentation are simple..
SoapUI is a SOAP and REST functional testing tool that is free to use. Testers can use SOAPUI to run automated functional, regression, compliance, and load tests on a variety of Web APIs. It offers a number of powerful and creative features that aid in the validation and improvement of your services and apps. It takes a WSDL from a specified URL and produces the MockService and its methods for you automatically.
Features of SoapUI:
- Drag-and-drop functionality is included, which speeds up scriptwriting.
- Supports Multiple Environments — Switching between QA, Development, and Production environments are simple.
- Has the ability to conduct a full set of vulnerability scans.
- To safeguard databases, it prevents SQL Injection.
- With ease, simulate high-volume and real-world load testing.
- End-to-end system performance monitoring is possible.
Google’s Apigee is a cloud-based API administration solution. Apigee provides an abstraction or facade for your backend service APIs by fronting them with a proxy layer, which includes security, rate limiting, quotas, analytics, and more. Apigee speeds business by providing API visibility and management across the enterprise and clouds. For up to 3.5 million API calls per month, Apigee’s solutions are free to use.
Features of Apigee:
- Apigee hybrid provides deployment flexibility by allowing you to host your APIs on-premises, in Google Cloud, or in a hybrid environment.
- Package and monetize your digital assets as APIs to generate new revenue streams for your company.
- Ensure that all APIs follow the same security best practices and governance Policies.
- With real-time insights from your data, you can drill down into API traffic metrics, study traffic spikes, and trace live API requests.
- Publish APIs to a configurable site so developers can quickly explore, test, and obtain API keys.
Hoppscotch began as Postwoman, an open-source, lightweight, web-based API testing tool that competes with the widely used Postman API testing tool. It was designed from the ground up with ease of use and accessibility in mind, with a minimalist, unobtrusive UI that provides all of the functionality required for API developers. It’s an open-source program with 27K ratings on GitHub and 1.8K forks.
Features of Hoppscotch:
- Create requests, add scripts, and test replies with collections and environments in mind.
- Create documentation for your APIs and publish them as gists to make them more available to others.
- Examine your graphql endpoint, construct your queries, and group them into collections.
- With a SocketIO server, you may send and receive data.
- MQTT Broker topics can be subscribed to and published.
Assertible is a unit testing tool for APIs that allows you to test and monitor your web services across many deployments and environments. If you’re an individual or an organization, you can use Assertible for free. If you need to test additional web services or add more regular health checks, you’ll need to switch to a paid version.
Featured of Assertible:
- Sync your API testing automatically.
- Update your Assertible API tests with ease.
- Create a dependable web application monitoring workflow quickly and easily.
- Using the CURL command, you may run the whole test suite.
- Test your services on a regular basis, and configure how you’re notified when something goes wrong.
- Execute post-deploy smoke tests on staging or production automatically.